By Chef Vincent Tropepe
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 6 ounces Mexican chocolate, preferably Ibarra, finely chopped
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped, plus shavings for garnish
- Unsweetened whipped cream, for serving
- Step 1In a medium saucepan, combine the whole milk with the heavy cream and bring to a simmer over moderately high heat.
- Step 2In a small bowl, beat the egg yolks until combined. Slowly whisk in 1/2 cup of the hot milk, then transfer the mixture to the saucepan. Cook the custard over moderate heat, whisking constantly, until it is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Immediately add the finely chopped Mexican and bittersweet chocolate and remove the saucepan from the heat. Stir until the chocolate is completely melted, then strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a large glass measuring cup or bowl. Pour the chocolate mixture into 6 small bowls and refrigerate until the pots de crème are chilled, at least 6 hours or overnight. Serve the pots de crème with unsweetened whipped cream and chocolate shavings.