New Jersey, United States-
A restaurant in New Jersey is in the news after a diner posted a video of a worm wriggling out of their fish dish. However, it’s the restaurant’s reaction to the video that have caused the most debate around the issue.
Jim Guinee went down for a meal in this restaurant with his girlfriend when they noticed a small worm wriggling out of her half-eaten fish dish. The couple proceeded to film the incident before showing staff what had happened.
Restaurant later posted the above video on their Facebook page. The Stella Marina Bar and Restaurant said: “One of our seafood purveyors did send us Saturday’s cod and missed the small worms that were found by two of our guests, located in the centre of the fish.” The post, which has now been deleted, continued: “We immediately halted serving the dish. We compensated the family of 8 generously and expressed our sincere concern and apologies that one of our guests had anything less than an amazing experience at our restaurant.” They then said they were “very surprised at the callousness and irresponsible reaction of an attorney of law to attempt to destroy our reputation and possible livelihoods due to something that could have happened to anyone, whether cooking at home or in a restaurant.”
It’s actually a real weird that the post was removed because the debate around the topic was slowly balancing out. Some saying they would never eat there again, but many explaining how they had also encountered the worms while cooking fish.
These worms are called nematodes and they are present in almost every fish, the best way to kill them by freezing the fish at -4 degrees or by heating the fish over 145 degrees – and any professional chef can tell you, that’s way too high to cook some perfect fish. Even at many places there are rules stating that all fish must be frozen before cooking. It’s also one of the reasons people claim to prefer farmed fish over wild caught fish because of less parasites in a controlled area.