World’s 50 Best Restaurants awards ceremony took place in Bilbao, Spain last night.
Osteria Francescana in Modena, Italy run by chef Massimo Bottura, has been announced as the World’s Best Restaurant, for a second time. The Roca’s and their El Celler de Can Roca restaurant in Girona was second. Third spot on the list went to Mauro Colagreco for Mirazur restaurant in Menton, fourth was last year’s winner, Eleven Madison Park, and Gaggan stood at fifth place.
HERE’S THE FULL LIST FROM THE EVENT
1. Osteria Francescana, Modena (Italy) | BEST RESTAURANT IN EUROPE and BEST RESTAURANT IN THE WORLD
2. El Celler de Can Roca, Girona (Spain)
3. Mirazur, Menton (France)
4. Eleven Madison Park, New York (USA) | BEST RESTAURANT IN NORTH AMERICA
5. Gaggan, Bangkok (Thailand) | BEST RESTAURANT IN ASIA
6. Central, Lima (Peru) | BEST RESTAURANT IN SOUTH AMERICA
7. Maido, Lima (Peru)
8. Arpège, Paris (France)
9. Mugaritz, San Sebastian (Spain)
10. Asador Etxebarri, Atxondo (Spain)
11. Quintonil, Mexico City (Mexico)
12. Blue Hill at Stone Barns, Tarrytown (USA)
13. Pujol, Mexico City (Mexico)
14. Steirereck, Vienna (Austria)
15. White Rabbit, Moscow (Russia)
16. Piazza Duomo, Alba (Italy)
17. Den, Tokyo (Japan) | Highest Climber
18. Disfrutar, Barcelona (Spain) | Highest New Entry
19. Geranium, Copenhagen (Denmark) | Art of Hospitality Award
20. Attica, Melbourne (Australia) | BEST RESTAURANT IN AUSTRALASIA
21. Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athénée, Paris (France)
22. Narisawa, Tokyo (Japan)
23. Le Calandre, Rubano (Italy)
24. Ultraviolet, Shanghai (China)
25. Cosme, New York (USA)
26. Le Bernardin, New York (USA)
27. Boragò, Santiago (Chile)
28. Odette, Singapore
29. Alléno Paris at Pavillon Ledoyen, Paris (France)
30. D.O.M. , Sao Paulo (Brazil)
31. Arzak, San Sebastian (Spain)
32. Tickets, Barcelona (Spain)
33. The Clove Club, London (UK)
34. Alinea, Chicago (USA)
35. Maaemo, Oslo (Norway)
36. Reale, Castel di Sangro (Italy)
37. Restaurant Tim Raue, Berlin (Germany)
38. Lyle’s, London (UK)
39. Astrid Y Gastón, Lima (Peru)
40. Septime, Paris (France)
41. Nihonryori Ryugin, Tokyo (Japan)
42. The Ledbury, London (UK)
43. Azurmendi, Larrabetzu (Spain)
44. Mikla, Instanbul (Turkey)
45. Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, London (UK)
46. Saison, San Francisco (USA)
47. Schloss Schauenstein, Fürstenau (Switzerland)
48. Hiša Franko, Kobarid (Slovenia)
49. Nahm, Bangkok (Thailand)
50. The Test Kitchen, Cape Town (South Africa) | BEST RESTAURANT IN AFRICA
A number of other special awards were also given on the night:
The Chef’s Choice Award 2018, voted for by chef peers, went to US chef Dan Barber while French patissier Cédric Grolet was named the World’s Best Pastry Chef.
The Ferrari Trento Art of Hospitality Award went to Rasmus Kofoed at Copenhagen’s Geranium and Azurmendi in the Basque country recieved The Sustainable Restaurant Award.
Disfrutar in Barcelona won the Highest New Entry Award and the Highest Climber Award went to Den in Tokyo.
The inaugural 50 Best BBVA Scholarship 2018 was awarded to Jessie Liu from Taiwan.
A number of awards were already known ahead of the ceremony: British chef Clare Smyth was named elit Vodka World’s Best Female Chef, Peru’s Gaston Acurio was nominated for the Diners Club® Lifetime Achievement Award, while SingleThread, the farm restaurant in Northern California from husband and wife team Kyle and Katina Connaughton won the Miele One to Watch Award 2018.
The 50 Best Talks and a talk on “food meets art” set the scene for this year’s star-studded event, in the build up to the ceremony.