8-10 nos. small aubergine
1 cup tricolored bellpeppers, cut into small dices
½ tbsp. garlic, minced
1 tbsp. grated cheddar cheese
Parmesan cheese to gratinate
Oil for frying
For tomato sauce:
6 nos. blanched tomatoes, pureed
1 tbsp. garlic
5-6 basil leaves, shredded
1 tbsp. olive oil
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Sugar to taste
- Cut aubergine in half lengthwise and deep fry it in hot oil for 3-5 minutes. Strain from the oil, scoop out the pulp of aubergine and chop it.
- Now in a hot pan take some oil and put garlic, cook until garlic is light brown. Add bellpeppers and cook for 2 more minutes. Add aubergine’s pulp and add 3 tbsp. of tomato sauce and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat, add cheese, mix and adjust seasoning.
- Stuff the mixture into aubergines.
- To make tomato sauce, take olive oil in a hot pan and add garlic into it. Cook until garlic become light brown. Add tomato puree, add salt, sugar and cook for 10-15 minutes. Add basil leaves and cook for more 10 minutes on simmer. Adjust seasoning.
- Now in a baking dish spread tomato sauce on base and place stuffed aubergines on it. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top of aubergines and gratinate under salamander until golden brown.
- Garnish with fresh basil or chopped parsley and serve hot.