Classic middle eastern chicken preparation wrapped in pita bread
8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup hung curd
1 Tbsp. olive oil
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1/4 tsp freshly ground cardamom
1 tsp all spice
½ tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. finely chopped onion
1 number sliced onion
1 deseeded and julienned tomato
Half deseeded and julienned green bell pepper
Aioli for dip
For pita bread:
200 ml luke warm water
1 tbsp. sugar
1 pinch salt
1 tbsp. dry yeast
1 tbsp. olive oil
For pita bread:
- In luke warm water dissolve sugar, salt and yeast.
- Now make a stiff dough by mixing water and refined flour. Add olive oil and mix well in the dough.
- Now divide dough into small balls of 45 gms weight, cover and keep aside for rest for fermentation process for atleast ½ an hour.
- Heat hot plate, roll the balls into thin round shape and cook from both sides on hot plate.
- Keep pita bread wrapped airtight with the help of a cling foil.
- Make a marination by mixing hung curd, garlic, onion, olive oil, lemon juice, cardamom powder, allspice, salt & black pepper in a mixing bowl. Mix it well.
- Now put chicken pieces inside the marination and marinate well. Cover and keep aside for at least 2 hours to absorb flavors.
- Keep the oven preheated at 220 degrees centigrade. Arrange marinated chicken on a nonstick baking tray and cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until well cooked.
- Now on a chopping board with the help of a chopper roughly chop the chicken in small small pieces.
- In a bowl take chopped chicken, sliced onion, tomatoes and bell pepper. Put 1 tbsp. of aioli, some lemon juice and mix well. Adjust seasoning.
- Now fill the mixture in pita bread forming a roll. Keep rolls in oven for some time until become warm. Cut and serve hot with sumac salad and aioli.